Gay Marriage: Yes or No?

The issue is debated in the US Supreme Court (USSC) today and tomorrow. Now, I know you have your opinion, but I want you to get sophisticated about the human decision-making process involved because sooner or later what others decide affects your pocket-book, relationships, health and happiness in the United States, the greatest country on earth. Knowing that fact, you can fairly assume that the USSC will not vote Yes today or tomorrow because although these 9 fellows can legally force all 50 States in the Union to accept gay marriage, they will not do so.  It cannot be morally or ethically acceptable. Since the USSC members are humans, not just legalistic entities, they will vote NO or vote to spin the issue.

What is the real issue?

If you are smart you may not be surprised to know that the real issue is not gay rights. Gays already have rights. They have the rights to have a civic union, which has all the marriage rights except the legal right to use the label marriage! Thus, the real issue is not the legal rights that marriage would convey on gay couples. That rights are already conveyed by laws with all kinds of labels: Common law, co-habitation, civic union, and a host of other laws that give gay couples equal rights under the law. The USSC today is dealing with a legal trivia – a missing word!

Any psychologist can tell you that if you fight intensely over a label, not a substance, you are really fighting over a psychological identity problem, not a legal case. I think that the USSC will recognise that fact because they are smart dudes and will not pass a favorable judgment today. This psychological issue belongs elsewhere, not in the legal domain, and I doubt that it belongs in the political domain either. Whar right would 51% of the people in the State of California have to impose their will on the other 49%?

Here is the simple solution (as always, your loyal servant):

Since gay couples have the same rights that marriage couples have except for the use of the word marriage on legal documents, they can use the word “marriage” on their religious institution’s certificate. This way the only objection will come from God, and he works through Karma, a mysterious law above.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

One Response to “Gay Marriage: Yes or No?”

  1. Positivemadness.com Says:

    Can I just say what a comfort to uncover someone that genuinely understands what they are discussing on the internet.

    You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important.

    More and more people must look at this and understand this
    side of the story. I can’t believe you are not more popular since you
    certainly have the gift.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: